Published on October 4th, 2016 | by Emma Hackwood0
Meet the Cruise Expert: Amanda Blofield
1. How many times have you been on a cruise?
I’ve worked on cruise ships for five years.
2. How many countries have you visited just while cruising?
3. What is your favourite cruise line and why?
It’s hard to choose a favourite cruise line. Everyone has something different to offer!
4. What is your favourite thing about cruising?
It gives you the opportunity to visit multiple countries while on one trip.
5. What was your memorable cruising experience/trip and why?
First-time visits to new ports are always memorable. The feeling that washes over after the first few steps off the gangway on to dry land is always something I remember.
6. What’s your favourite port and why?
I love San Juan, Puerto Rico. This port has a lot of history and culture behind it and you are able to experience this by taking a visit to Fort El Morro. After a visit to the fort, I love going on a walk through the streets of old town Puerto Rico, visiting the boutique shops, and enjoying the colours and architecture. To finish off the day in Puerto Rico, I love to sit down in a restaurant or on a patio and enjoy a refreshing glass of sangria.
7. What are your top 3 cruise tips?
- Go for the late-seating dinner or the open-seating dinner. A lot of the ports of call will depart between the first seating dinner. By choosing the late or open-seating, you are able to enjoy more time in the port.
- Pack everything you need for the first day in your carry-on. When arriving at the home port, your checked luggage will be tagged and taken from you to be delivered to your stateroom onboard. However, it may not get delivered to your room right away. Make sure you have your swimsuits, change of clothes, and any essentials on you.
- Try one of the specialty restaurants onboard. Although your meals are included with your cruise, specialty restaurants offer a better dining experience and a higher food quality at a slight upcharge (on average, $25-$35 per person – it’s like a cover charge.) Be sure not to miss out on the opportunity to indulge in one of these and book your reservations early!
8. What cruise destinations would you recommend and why?
I would recommend different destinations around the world based on what they would like to experience: be it historical, cultural, or more adventurous, every destination has something great to offer.