Variety is the spice of life. Whether you’re cruising with your family, as a couple, or on your own, Cruise Expert Frances Loftus shares recommendations that everyone in your party will enjoy, plus her favourite cruise experiences and top cruise tip:
1. How many times have you been on a cruise?
2. How many countries have you visited just while cruising?
3. What is your favourite cruise line and why?
Royal Caribbean is my favourite because they do a great job of catering to a wide range of people, young and young at heart, families, couples, single travellers. Guests can have a quiet, adult-only serene experience, or an exciting, thrilling onboard adventure, and everything in between. It’s the cruise line for everyone!
4. What is your favourite thing about cruising?
I love cruising because it is the best stress-free holiday I have ever gone on. You get five-star treatment while going to five-diamond destinations! It allows me to be lazy when I want to and be as active and busy as I want to – all on the same holiday. Cruising allows me to get the best of every world I want to visit – wherever I go.
5. What was your memorable cruising experience/trip and why?
My most memorable holiday ever was when I went on the Allure of the Seas with my mom and my sister. We all have very different interests and we all felt that we were able to have the perfect holiday. There were tons of things for us to do together as well as individually. Of all the 5-star hotel and resorts I have stayed at in the past, I have never been so pampered or well-treated in my life.
6. What’s your favourite port and why?
Nassau. I went to Atlantis and I swam with the dolphins. The dolphins were rescues from New Orleans’ Hurricane Katrina and they seemed to have as much fun as me!
7. What are your top 3 cruise tips?
- Bring two bathing suits, so that you can wear a dry suit while the other one is still drying!
- Pre-book the excursions that you absolutely will be sad if you don’t do (for me that was swimming with the dolphins and going dog sledding), but give yourself the chance to explore and decide what you want to do when you actually get there.
- Pack layers!
8. What cruise destinations would you recommend and why?
Fall in the Mediterranean – This is a wonderful way to experience many cities in Europe without dealing with a lot of airports or having to pack and unpack your suitcase.
December in the Caribbean – You can find the best deals for Caribbean cruises if you travel in the first two weeks of December.
9. Big ship vs small ship – how do you help a client decide?
Big ships are often more about the ship, whereas small ships are more about the destination. If you want a lot of things to do, such as spend a night out at a good night club, Broadway-style entertainment, Flow Riders (surf simulators), ice rinks or water slides, a big ship is perfect for them. If the client is looking for a floating hotel with impeccable restaurants and service as well as more time in various different ports, then a small ship is the thing for them.