What’s so great about seeing the world on a cruise ship? The variety, the excellent service, and the unexpected luxuries that spoil you at sea. Just ask our Cruise Expert, Kevan Latrace. Here he shares reasons why your next vacation should be on a cruise ship.
1. How many times have you been on a cruise?
2. How many countries have you visited just while cruising?
3. What is your favourite cruise line and why?
While I have sailed on Holland America, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean, I found that Celebrity Cruise Lines catered most to my particular age group. I felt like I was in a wonderful 5-star hotel on the ocean. The food was absolutely amazing and the service was top notch.
(Keep reading to see Kevan’s top pick for boutique cruising!)
4. What is your favourite thing about cruising?
I prefer to be busy on my holidays – never have been a lie-on-the-beach and bake-in-the-sun type of person. I like the fact that a cruise allows me to be as busy or as lazy as I want to be on any given day. I also appreciate the open-minded atmosphere on cruises, it’s much more positive for the LGBTQ community than some resort destinations.
5. What was your memorable cruising experience/trip and why?
Definitely the time my husband and I were upgraded to a Sky Suite on the Celebrity Solstice for my husband’s 40th birthday. We had a butler who opened the door for us, brought us tea and treats in the afternoon, and made us feel like true VIP guests. This was also the only sailing where we had a bird fly into our stateroom from outside… and we were at sea at the time!
6. What’s your favourite port and why?
I would go back to Grand Cayman and swim with the stingrays again in a heartbeat! Also, the beaches there are amazing.
7. What are your top 3 cruise tips?
- Arrange for things like beverage packages, specialty restaurants, dietary restrictions, shore excursions, and specialty entertainment online before you depart. It makes the actual cruise experience so much easier.
- Stay for a night or two pre or post-cruise in the departure port city. It takes the worry out of boarding on time for the cruise departure and the extra time allows you have more time in the area.
- Once you do your first cruise, you are going to want to cruise again – take a moment to check out future cruises onboard – cruise lines are often promoting their best offers!
8. What cruise destinations would you recommend and why?
I actually had two sets of clients do the new cruises around Cuba and they really enjoyed the chance to get to know the culture and the people of Cuba. It completely changed how they viewed the country and they highly recommended the itinerary.
9. Big ship vs small ship – How do you help a client decide?
Find out what is important to you on your vacation. Are you looking for an active getaway with lots of activities? Are you travelling with family/children? I would recommend a larger ship with a variety of onboard facilities that visit a few ports. For experienced cruisers looking to discover far-off destinations, or get off the beaten track, I recommend Azamara. It’s a small-ship boutique cruise line which means Azamara’s fleet fit into smaller, less commercial ports.