When she was challenged to experience as much of a brand new ship like the Anthem of the Seas in under two days, our Cruise Expert Justina Wilke did not shy away. She made it her mission to do everything possible. Here she shares her experience onboard the Anthem, her top cruise tips, and what cruise destinations she recommends for 2016:
Royal Caribbean! It’s an all around great cruise line; very family-oriented, yet fun for adults too. Their cutting edge technology, particularly on their newest ships, is absolutely mind blowing. They have taken the art of cruising to a whole new level, while still focusing on minimizing the environmental impact it has. When I think about the next ships that Royal is building right now, I get excited and can’t wait to get onboard.
What is your favourite thing about cruising?
Cruising is super fun, yet also relaxing. The entertainment is fantastic! You only have to unpack once to see multiple places, countries. The dining venues are often diverse, intriguing, and offer delicious menus.
What was your most memorable cruising experience and why?
My most memorable experience was on Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas’ inaugural sailing. It was two days on a brand new ship and there was a lot to see and do in such a short time, a challenge in itself – and one I took on. Bumper cars, a sky diving simulator, a mobile 14-passenger gondola on the 18th deck, multiple pools, multiple dining venues, breathtaking, mind-blowing entertainment, shopping, dancing, a robot bartender – I felt like a kid in a candy store, in awe of all the colours and fun new toys.
What cruise destinations would you recommend for 2016 and why?
My top cruise destination recommendation would be a Caribbean itinerary that includes a stop at Grand Cayman. It’s beautiful, the beaches are pristine, the people are lovely, and the food is unique and fantastic. One word – swim with the sting rays!
I would also suggest the new Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic – currently a very hot item in the Caribbean. The port in Amber Cove has not been accessed by cruise ships since the 1980s. Amber Cove is the perfect place to sunbathe, relax, or go on an excursion.
What are your top cruise tips?
- Pack light! Take small quantities of your essentials. Pack by outfits, rather than by impulse.
- Bring and use sea sickness remedies, even if you don’t get sea sick. This way you avoid sea sickness from happening at all.
- Plan your specialty dining in advance on your cruise personaliser.
- Plan to stay overnight at least one night prior, in or near the cruise port. Pre-pay or arrange as much as you can in Canadian currency so you have little to spend onboard in US dollars.
- Always book your future cruise credit onboard the ship in order to benefit the cruise that you are on.
- And last but not least, relax and have fun!