It’s the perfect year-round destination, where the beaches are almost as warm as the people. If you’re thinking about heading to the Hawaiian Islands, take some travel tips courtesy of our Hawaii Expert, Cate Ciu.
1. How many times have you visited Hawaii?
Three times and counting!
2. What makes you an expert in Hawaii?
My pursuit of adventure. When I am visiting the islands, I want to try everything.
3. What is your favourite city in Hawaii?
My favorite has to be Honolulu. It was my first ever taste of Hawaiian culture and I fell in love.
4. What surprised you the most about Hawaii?
The history. From the diverse cultural roots (like the journey of Polynesian people from New Zealand to Hawaii) to the iconic military events (such as Pearl Harbor), the state of Hawaii is a historic gem.
5. What made you fall in love with Hawaii?
The culture. It is so genuinely welcoming and heart warming – it inspires a sense of belonging from the very first visit.
6. What’s your favourite memory about Hawaii?
I watched New Year’s fireworks on the Waikiki beach, which was pretty magical, but my favorite was seeing Barack Obama in person (no joke!).
7. What are your top 4 Hawaii tips that you would give a client travelling there?
- Island hop: The islands are quite close to one another, so I would highly recommend visiting more than one island during your visit.
- Try everything once (and, if you like it, repeat): Hawaii has so much to offer and it is a great place to surprise yourself (Spam sushi, anyone?)
- Visit Pearl Harbor: I thought Pearl Harbor would be boring, but it was a very moving visit.
- Pre-Plan: from pre-booking a shuttle to a wake-up call for a Diamond Head hike, Hawaii books up and fill up quickly. It is better to pre-plan to avoid disappointment.
8. Why do you think it’s important for people to visit Hawaii?
It’s a “choose your own adventure” vacation spot close to home. Whether you are there for a romantic getaway, an adrenaline filled adventure, cultural stay, or just to relax, Hawaii has something wonderful to offer everyone.
9. What things would you recommend someone pack for a trip to Hawaii?
Running shoes and sunscreen are a must, but leave room in your suitecase! I usually return with at least three boxes of Hawaiian Host chocolates.