Published on January 30th, 2017 | by Emma Hackwood0
Meet the Hawaii Expert: Jessica Campbell
What to pack, what to see and do, and why Hawaii must be experienced. Meet our Hawaii Expert, Jessica.
1. How many times have you visited Hawaii?
2. What makes you an expert in Hawaii?
I have travelled extensivly in Hawaii during my 11 visits there. I have been to Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii. I have planned a destination wedding there as well as a honeymoon. I’m also a certified Hawaii Specialist.
3. What is your favourite city in Hawaii?
That is a very hard question to answer. I have a few favourites and they are all so different. I love staying in Napili in Maui, I love visiting Lahaina and I love the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.
4. What surprised you the most about Hawaii?
How different all of the islands are. There is such a contrast from island to island.
5. What made you fall in love with Hawaii?
Everything. The people, the climate, the ocean and beaches, the scent of flowers in the air, the majesty of the mountains, and the Hawaiian culture. It is a beautiful relaxed life.
6. What’s your favourite memory about Hawaii?
My favourite memory is probably from when I was nine years old. My family and I went to Oahu that year with my grandparents. They were farmers their whole lives and hadn’t travelled much. I remember them standing in the waves at Waikiki Beach at sunset and my grandma, who was about 4’10” tall, was holding on to my grandpa’s hand for dear life and jumping as the waves were rolling into the shore. She wasn’t a very strong swimmer and didn’t want to get dragged out by the undertow, so she kept jumping as the waves came in to stay above them. They were laughing together and smiling the whole time. It is one of my most cherished memories of them. It was an amazing day.
7. What are your top 3 Hawaii tips that you would give a client travelling there?
- PACK LIGHT! The attire in Hawaii is casual! All you need are a couple of bathing suits, a few pairs of shorts and some tops, and you’re good to go. The most formal item you’ll likely need is a Hawaiian shirt. Or polo shirt. Ladies, a sundress will pretty much get you in everywhere.
- Leave room in your suitcase for all of the things you’ll want to bring back with you – Kona coffee, local art, macadamia nuts. It’s all so good.
- If you’re on Maui, do the road to Hana the whole way around the island. Do not turn around once you get to Hana. The countryside around the back side of Haleakala mountain is INCREDIBLE. Some of the most memorable terrain I’ve ever seen. Do not miss out!
8. Why do you think it’s important for people to visit Hawaii?
Hawaii must be experienced. I can talk about it ’til I’m blue in the face, but that won’t do it justice. It’s a slice of paradise on earth.
9. What things would you recommend someone pack for a trip to Hawaii?
Bring a snorkel set if you have room. If you don’t, there’s lots of places on the islands that will rent you a set for a good price while you’re there. There is fabulous snorkeling right off the beach in so many places. You will see sea turtles, colourful little fish, and so much more. I’ve even seen dolphins right off my beach in Maui! I recommend investing in or bringing a GoPro, as well. You will want to capture all of the beautiful sights you’re seeing above and below water! Sunglasses and a hat are very good to have and a good strong SPF. You will burn very quickly if you’re not careful. And, again, don’t over pack! You will find so many things there you’ll want to bring home, so make sure you leave room in your bags.