Planning a trip to Sin City and not sure where to start? Our Las Vegas Expert Rachael Shilling shares a few ideas on what to see, what to do, where to stay, and some of her pro tips, whether this is your first trip down or your one hundredth:
1. How many times have you visited Las Vegas?
2. What makes you an expert on Las Vegas?
When I start talking about Las Vegas, I light up. It’s one of my favourite destinations; no visit is the same as the last. Every chance I get to return, I experience something new, exciting, and in true Las Vegas fashion. Each visit adds depths to my acquired first-hand knowledge and experience which allows me to help plan the perfect Vegas vacation.
3. What is your favourite hotel in Las Vegas?
The Cosmopolitan. I love sitting in the lounge area surrounded by gorgeous chandeliers that drape from the high ceilings and the view of the Strip from the Boulevard Pool is nothing short of spectacular. It’s also one of the few non-smoking casinos in Vegas which is a bonus being a non-smoker.
4. What surprised you the most about Las Vegas?
How everyone seems so happy and approachable. Something about the flash and glow of the neon lights add magic to the Strip.
5. What made you fall in love with Las Vegas?
I remember I was in Las Vegas for the third time and I was with my sister. We were enjoying a relaxing night on our last night at the Boulevard Pool at the Cosmopolitan and “Wonderwall” by Oasis came on. I remember thinking there was something special about this place and that I didn’t want this moment to end. I was just so happy. Right there, I fell in love with Vegas.
6. What’s your favourite memory about Las Vegas?
The time I drove a Ferrari on a race track! I’ll never forget that incredible experience. I went to Exotics Racing and shared a closed track with other drivers who were looking for the same rush. I had a professional driver in the passenger seat instructing me through turns, when to accelerate, how to twist and turn through the track, etc. I was going as high as 180 km per hour. It’s something that I can tick off my bucket list now.
7. What are your top 3 Las Vegas tips that you would give a client travelling there?
- When you’re transferring from the airport to your hotel, opt for the Strip route and not the highway, which is a longer and more expensive cab ride. Always map out the best route beforehand to save you money. Your cab ride, one-way, should cost under $20 USD.
- Purchase your show tickets from official vendors only. Official show tickets are available at hotel properties. (We can help you book these!)
- Check out one of Las Vegas’ many free sights and attractions. The volcano show at The Mirage, the pirate show at Treasure Island, the world famous fountain show at The Bellagio, and Hershey’s Chocolate World, just to name a few.
8. Why do you think it’s important for people to visit Las Vegas?
The magic of this neon city is incredible and unlike any other place in the world. Everyone needs to experience Vegas at least once in a lifetime! It’s a rite of passage for every milestone and there’s something for everyone, from seniors, couples, party-goers, to families. You can see Vegas on a budget, or go all-out. However you choose to see Vegas is up to you, but I think people will fall in love with this city as much as I have.
9. What things would you recommend someone pack for a trip to Las Vegas?
If you plan on walking most of the Strip to check out attractions, pack some good walking shoes and sunscreen. The Strip is like a mirage. Everything is further than it appears! There are so many reasons to get dressed up in Vegas, whether it’s to experience one of their fine dining establishments, catch one their iconic Las Vegas shows at Caesar’s Palace, or just to have a fun night out on the town – so packing a nice outfit is a must.