Want to know how to fast-track your way into most landmarks when travelling? Our Tour Expert Bailey gives us the inside scoop on why small group tours are the best way to experience a new destination, and good value for your time and money.
1. How many times have you been on an organized tour?
2. How many countries have you visited (total) while on an organized tour?
Eight (England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Vatican City, Turkey, Peru, USA)
3. What makes travelling on a tour better than doing it on your own?
You don’t have to think about anything! Your hotels, transportation and entries to many major attractions are fast-tracked.
4. What is the most common misconception about organized tours?
The amount of free-time you have.. You can choose a very inclusive tour or one with the bare minimums.
5. What surprised you the most about touring?
How small the world is – you meet a lot of new friends!
6. What’s your favourite tour company and why?
G Adventures – hands down! They are a Canadian company, have small groups with a maximum of around 16 people on most departures and they have an amazing foundation they started called Planeterra which gives back to the communities they visit all around the world. I had a chance to visit one of the women’s weaving co-ops in Peru.
7. What are your top 3 tips for a client about to experience their first guided tour?
Read your detailed trip notes, don’t over pack, and bring a scarf/pashmina.
8. What’s your favourite travel memory from a tour you’ve taken?
Cooking class in Cusco (Peru) with G Adventures; we made our own ceviche, lomo saltado, pisco sours and chilcanos. YUM!
9. What made you fall in love with touring?
I don’t have to worry about anything while I’m away; my tour guide hands me my next boarding pass and I’m off. This allows more time for food and sight seeing!