Published on November 4th, 2016 | by Emma Hackwood0
Meet the Tours Expert: Kazundra Brown
She debunks common misconceptions about organized tours, shares what’s enriching about them, and one of her favourite memories from her last tour. Meet Kazundra Brown, our Tours Expert.
1. How many times have you been on an organized tour?
In the past, I have lead tours and I have been on two myself.
2. How many countries have you visited (total) while on an organized tour?
3. What makes travelling on a tour better than doing it on your own?
Making new friends, meeting other like-minded travellers to share the experience with you, and the ease of not having to worry about organizing transportation and accommodations. Tour leaders are also a wealth of information who dispense advice on what to do, see, eat, and help with language barriers!
4. What is the most common misconception about organized tours?
That you follow a guide with a little flag around and listen to lectures on a strict schedule.
5. What surprised you the most about touring?
The flexibility and free time available. With suggestions from the guide you can go off and explore by yourself.
6. What’s your favourite tour company and why?
Intrepid Travel because of the emphasis on local experiences and going off-the-beaten track. This means commuting with locals on public transportation, finding the local hotspots, and sometimes even staying overnight with locals on homestays.
7. What are your top 3 tips for a client about to experience their first guided tour?
Go in with an open mind! Take part in every activity, try the local cuisine, and take the time to explore solo.
8. What’s your favourite travel memory from a tour you’ve taken?
Hanging out at a bar in Bali and listening to the locals play music into the night.
9. What made you fall in love with touring?
Definitely the ease of having accommodation, transportation, and sightseeing planned prior. Tour companies know the best spots, so if you only have a week you can make the most of it without wasting any time at all!