It’s been another full week of travel news! In case you missed some of the most important developments, these are the top 5 announcements we’ve been talking about most, here at Flight Centre.
1. The Ontario government announced a 20% tax credit for travel within Ontario during 2021.
To help encourage tourism within the province, the new tax credit will allow for a 20 percent return on every dollar spent on local travel next year. So, remember to save those receipts for your ski days, winery visits, and hotel stays!
2. Air Transat extended their Peace of Mind program through February 2021.
This means you can book an Air Transat flight to any destination by February 28, 2021 and if your travel plans change, you can reschedule your travel, change your destination, or both, at no charge. You’ll also enjoy relaxed cancellation terms if you change your mind altogether.
3. WestJet introduced flight guarantees for packages between Toronto and Cancun, Toronto and Montego Bay, Calgary and Cancun, and Calgary and Puerto Vallarta.
This means your route is guaranteed to operate on the day of departure. If an eligible flight is cancelled for some reason other than safety or government restrictions, and a same-day alternative isn’t available, you’ll receive 250 WestJet dollars and either reaccommodation or a full refund.
4. More resorts continue to open up in sun destinations, with new health & safety protocols.
Some noteworthy properties include Resorts World Bimini in the Bahamas and Belmond La Samanna in St. Martin. (The Bahamas is one of the destinations that are open to Canadians, that don’t requre quarantining in-destination. Check out our COVID-19 travel map for more details!).
5. Ontario is no longer paying for pre-travel covid19 tests
This means Ontarians visiting destinations that require a negative test result will have to use a private testing option, such as Shoppers Drug Mart or the airline you’re travelling with, if that option is available. Our Travel Experts are beside you every step of the way, and can help you navigate everything you need to know about making your travel plans, including showing you which destinations don’t require a pre-test!