Published on November 1st, 2019 | by Crissandra Ayroso0
How To Choose The Best Business Travel Credit Card
A good business travel credit card helps you earn free flights, seat upgrades, complimentary hotel nights, and more. Choose a credit card that rewards the way that you spend with FCBT’s expert tips.
Choose a credit card that offers travel rewards for everyday spending
Did you know that you can earn travel rewards with everyday purchases like gas and public transit? If you regularly use your credit card on similar spends, this program could suit your business best. Save big on your travel expenses with points that can be redeemed on everything from flights and hotels to car rentals. Scotiabank and American Express currently offer two of the most popular ones in Canada, but there are plenty more options to choose from that offer competitive and reasonable programs.
Scotiabank Gold American Express® is one of the best travel rewards credit cards for everyday spending. This program allows you to earn points on purchases for things like gas, public transit, restaurants, and food delivery services. With the right amount of Scotia Rewards, you can redeem points on flights, hotels, and car rentals, and save your business from the expense. For every dollar spent on eligible purchases, you’ll earn between one and five Scotia Rewards points. 3,000 Scotia Rewards points translate to $20. Additional benefits:
- Welcome bonus of 30,000 Scotia Rewards points
- 30% discount on Priority Pass lounge access
- No foreign currency conversion fees
American Express Cobalt™ Card offers similar rewards on daily purchases, with five points for every dollar spent on eligible purchases. Redeem your points on free room upgrades and hotel credits. These points are exclusively eligible at hotels and resorts that are part of the American Express Hotel Collection – which includes over 600 resorts in 30 countries to choose from. Some credits can be applied towards dining credits which means you can save your meal per diems for a rainy day. Additional benefits:
- Welcome bonus of 30,000 points ($300 USD value)
- Cardholders get access to ticket pre-sales
- Annual fee $120 is charged at a monthly rate of $10, rather than all at once
Choose an airline or hotel loyalty credit card for free perks
If you’re a loyal member of an airline or hotel chain, a co-branded credit card will give business travellers rewards that you’ll actually be able to use, and will want to use! Think free checked bags, priority boarding, free upgrades, and bonus amenities. With a credit card designated for your business travel expenses, this is a smart way to get more of your costs covered.
WestJet’s RBCWorld Elite Mastercard gives you your first checked bag for free, as well as for up to 8 additional co-workers on the same reservation! That’s about a $60 savings minimum, roundtrip, per person in Economy class. You’ll also earn WestJet Dollars, a separate dollar-for-dollar value loyalty program, open to everyone. Additional benefits:
- Welcome bonus of $250 WestJet dollars, which is equal to $250 Canadian dollars
- No blackout dates when redeeming WestJet dollars
- Discounted voucher for a travel companion
- Earn up to 1.5% back in WestJet dollars on your everyday purchases and up to 2% back when you purchase WestJet flights or WestJet Vacations packages, depending on the card you choose
- Comprehensive travel insurance
Air Canada’s Aeroplan loyalty program has several credit cards to choose from and works similarly to WestJet’s. TD’s Aeroplan® Visa Infinite is one of the most popular, widely-used options. It offers your first checked bag for free, priority check-in and boarding on Air Canada flights, and an annual one-time guest pass to the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge. Additional benefits:
- Welcome bonus of 40,000 Aeroplan Miles
- Earn 1.5 miles for every dollar spent on eligible grocery, gas, drugstore and aircanada.com purchases
- Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on all other purchases
- Earn miles twice when you pay with your card and present your Aeroplan card at select retailers
- Access to gourmet events at Canada’s top restaurants, plus premium benefits at wineries in BC and Ontario
Co-branded hotel credit cards like Marriott’s Bonvoy Boundless™ and World of Hyatt’s offer travel rewards, including a free night stay every year.
Choose a card with the best signup bonus
Aim for a credit card that offers the best signup bonus. Signup bonuses are a big lump of points you can earn for putting a certain amount in purchases on the card within the first months of having it. For example, the Scotiabank Gold American Express® signup bonus rewards you with 30,000 points, or $200 CAD, which can be used toward your business travel plans! If you’re not one to use your credit card on everyday purchases, consider a card with the best signup bonus so you and your business can enjoy the travel perks, too.
It pays to know! While there are many to choose from, the important thing is to choose a credit card that fits your business and lifestyle. The right credit card will pay your business back in dividends and offer you the travel rewards you’ll want to earn. Call us at 1-866-940-0217 today and talk to one of our Travel Managers for more expert business travel advice.