Finding an LGBTQ+ wedding destination doesn’t have to be difficult. All you have to do is give the Group Travel Specialists a call! We make it easy for gay, lesbian and queer couples to plan their big day.
While we’re helping you navigate same-sex marriage legislation around the world and finding a venue that’ll impress your entire guest list, we’ll also make sure you can enjoy competitive rates and fabulous little perks.
Check out our experts’ top list of LGBTQ+ friendly destination wedding venues.
First things first: Where is gay marriage legal?
While there are many countries around the world that recognize civil unions, common law marriage or registered partnerships, the following destinations have legalized same-sex marriage and are your best options for planning a beautiful wedding (i.e. without having to file for a Canadian marriage license when you get back home).
|(parts of) Mexico
Expert picks: Top 50 hotels and resorts for LGBTQ+ destination weddings
Trust an expert with all the travel details between “Yes” and “I Do”. Looking after you and everyone on your guest list is our specialty. Looking for ideas? Start with our top recommendations for hotels and resorts to host your destination wedding — complete with dedicated planning services, vendor packages and even some special promotions for your anniversary trips.
It’s hard to beat Mexico for a stress-free, all-inclusive wedding package, so let’s start here! The legal status of LGBTQ+ marriage varies by state in Mexico. Gay-friendly wedding destinations include: Campecho, Colima, Baja California, Baja California Sur, Jalisco, Mexico City, Michoacan, Nayarit, Oaxaca and Quintana Roo.
- Live Aqua Urban Resort, Mexico City
- JW Marriot Hotel Mexico City Santa Fe
- Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, Puerto Vallarta
- Grand Fiesta Americana Puerto Vallarta
- Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
- Velas Vallarta
- Riu Palace Pacifico All Inclusive, Riviera Nayarit
- Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
- Hyatt Place La Paz, Los Cabos
- Riu Palace Baja California Adults Only All Inclusive
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas All Inclusive
- Excellence Playa Mujeres All Inclusive Adults Only, Cancun
- Riu Palace Peninsula All Inclusive, Cancun
- Beloved Playa Mujeres Couples Only by The Excellence Collection, Cancun
- Riu Cancun All Inclusive
- Finest Playa Mujeres by The Excellence Collection All Inclusive, Cancun
- Riu Palace Las Americas All Inclusive Adults Only
While the Caribbean certainly isn’t known for being LGBTQ+ friendly as a whole, there are a number of welcoming destinations in this part of the world, including three countries where same-sex couples can be legally married: Saint Martin, Martinique, and Bermuda.
- Secrets St. Martin Resort & Spa
- Hotel Plein Soleil, Martinique
- Coco Reef Bermuda
- Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- Rosewood Bermuda
- Cambridge Beaches Resort & Spa
- Elbow Beach Hotel
The country officially legalized gay marriage in 2018 and was one of the very first Latin American countries to do so. Manuel Antonio and San Jose represent the main LGBTQ+ communities in Costa Rica, and Liberia is also a very strong choice for a wedding venue.
- Planet Hollywood Beach Resort Costa Rica, Liberia
- Dreams Las Mareas, Liberia
- Secrets Papagayo, Liberia
- Occidental Papagayo Adults Only All Inclusive, Liberia
- Best Western Plus San Jose
- Best Western Irazu Hotel & Studios, San Jose
LGBTQ+ couples have been able to get legally married across the country since 2015, but Canadian couples still have a few standout favourites for US destination wedding locations: Palm Springs, San Francisco, and New York City.
- Avalon Hotel, Palm Springs
- Hotel Zoso, Palm Springs
- Hotel Whitcomb, San Francisco
- Hotel Kabuki, San Francisco
- Nomo Soho, NYC
- The James New York Nomad, NYC
- The Knickerbocker Hotel, NYC
Mykonos might be the country’s most famous gay-friendly travel destination, but there are so many wonderful wedding venues to choose from across Greece and the Greek islands.
- Villa Hurmuses, Mykonos
- Gt Suites Corfos Bay, Mykonos
- Boheme, Mykonos
- Harmony Boutique, Mykonos
- Ostraco Luxury Suites, Mykonos
- Palladium, Mykonos
- Petasos Town Hotel, Mykonos
- Pietra e Mare, Mykonos
- Porto Mykonos
- Andronis Boutiqe Hotel, Santorini
- Galaxy Hotel, Crete
Spain is one of the most LGBTQ+ inclusive countries in the world, thanks to its anti-discrimination laws, legal gender changes, and same-sex marriages that have been legally recognized since 2005. While the entire European country offers plenty of gorgeous wedding locations, most couples find the right venue in Sitges, Barcelona, or Gran Canaria.
- Hotel Port Sitges
- Avenida Palace Hotel, Barcelona
- H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel, Barcelona
- Bohemia Suites & Spa, Las Palmas
Bonus: Get married on a cruise ship!
Can’t pick just one place? Consider a cruise wedding! Many cruise lines offer legal ceremonies on shore at select destinations, at sea or even at your home port so non-sailing guests can be included too. Ask our Group Travel Specialists about planning a spectacular seaside ceremony with Royal Caribbean International, Princess Cruises, Carnival Cruise Line or even Disney Cruise Line!
Take the guesswork out of your destination wedding and talk to an expert for free. With Group Travel by Flight Centre, you’ll get the best rates, wider choices and fabulous little upgrades.